Concussions are everywhere: at the rink, on the field, at the playground and even on your spring-based trampoline. According to The Consumer Product Safety Commission, 20 per cent of trampoline injuries are on the neck and face.
In the following video, Dr. Amanda Weiss Kelly explains concussions in children:
The Head Injury Criterion (HIC) was initially developed by the automotive industry to establish a safety standard. This index measures the likelihood and severity of head injuries in an accident. A higher HIC score indicates increased likelihood of a more severe injury:
|Head Injury Criterion
||Chance of NO Injury
||Chance of Minor Injury
||Chance of Moderate Injury
||Chance of Critical Injury
||Chance of Fatality
HIC is now used as the safety standard for many products including playground surfacing materials and trampolines. Currently, the industry standard for playground surfacing and trampolines is a HIC score of 1000.
What does this mean?
A child falling on an industry standard trampoline from a height of 1.5 metres (5 feet) has:
- 99% chance of sustaining minor injuries (skull trauma, nose/teeth fracture, superficial face injuries),
- 90% chance of sustaining moderate injuries (skull trauma, brief loss of consciousness, facial bone fracture, deep wounds, possible skull dislocation fracture),
- 3% chance of sustaining critical injuries (cerebral contusion, loss of consciousness for 12+ hours, intercranial hemorrhaging, uncertain recovery),
- 1% chance of sustaining fatal injuries.
Independent researchers have concluded that concussions can occur at a HIC score of 250. Current research at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto showed that even low-level shocks to the head can cause concussions.
What is being done?
ASTM International, formerly known as the American Society for Testing and Materials, is holding a meeting this week to discuss changing the existing HIC standards. Springfree™ Trampoline will be participating in these discussions.
We strive to challenge the current standards. The HIC score of a Springfree™ Trampoline is 77. This means that there is less than 1 per cent chance of concussions (or over 99 per cent likelihood of no injury) on a Springfree™ Trampoline. Concussions are serious – but preventable – injuries.
Come back on May 30th for our next discussion on motion-sensored video games and physical activity.